10 things I intend to accomplish this summer
- Finish the deck and spend a lot of time on it. A lot. Read, soak up some vitamin D, drink coffee, drink wine, chat and laugh with friends, eat barbecue, drink wine.
- Get to the beach at least a handful of times. We had our first dip in the Atlantic over the weekend (mine didn’t really count since I was only in as deep as my booty), but hoping to have many more salty swims! The summer seemed to escape me last year and I didn’t do as much beaching as I’d hoped. If what they say is true (who the heck are they?), the weather is going to be (eventually) ideal.
- Run 2-3 times per week. I may have to run at 10 p.m. to avoid the heat, but I’ll make it work.
- Go camping with the fam at least twice. We already had an amazing first outing at Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park! The challenge with summer is that it’s already pretty packed with to-dos, but we’re hoping to have at least one more weekend in the wilderness before the snow flies.
- Host friends for a deck party and bonfire. Hopefully, we’ll be able to do this more than once, but at the very least our new deck will need to be warmed.
- Visit one local landmark that I’ve never visited before. Not sure where this’ll be yet, but it could include York Redoubt, Long Lake Provincial Park, the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame or a craft brewery tour.
- Spend a solo day with my boys. I’m pretty jealous that dad gets to be at home through the summer, having quality one-on-one time with the kids. And honestly, he could use the break. I plan to take a day off and spend it with my guys, doing all kinds of fun things that will hopefully make dad jealous.
- Read two new books. And the book club books don’t count. Any suggestions? I’m thinking more beach read vs. epic tome.
- Practice new recipes to prepare for lunch-packing season. I’ve only been out of practice for two and a half weeks and already I’m anticipating the demand of packing lunches, and this fall will include an extra as Isaac starts school. I would really like to avoid pre-packaged junk as much as possible (“gummies” are just candy!) so while they’re at home, I’ll plug them full of fresh baked goods and have them all provide their rankings so I can keep track of their favourites.
- Grill something I’ve never grilled before. I grilled homemade pizza before and it was awesome. I’m thinking dessert this time. I’ve always wanted to try to grill pineapple and banana.
Thanks, as always, to Mama Kat for the writers’ prompt.